"My dog just chomped on a toad, now he is salivating and acting weird! What do I do?" -
an infamous emergency call question for Maui veterinarians.
In Hawaii, up to 50 dogs a year die after being poisoned by Bufo Toads. When the dog mouths the toad, it instinctively defends itself by releasing venom from its glands. Often times the dog will bite down on the toad enabling poisonous venom to squirt directly down the dog's throat. Usually the dog owner becomes aware of the issue once the dog exhibits excessive drooling while shaking its head relentlessly.
First aid should be administered right away! Here's what you should do:
- Wash out the dog's mouth with a steady stream of water. Note don't point the water down the dog's throat.
- Wipe toxic secretions of the gums and teeth with a cotton towel and rinse again with water.
- Call for veterinary assistance immediately. Monday to Saturday from 8AM-5PM, call 808.662.0099 and, after these hours, call our sister clinic's 24/7 emergency services team at 808.893.2467.
p.s. Don't let this "innocent" little guy sitting on a bench fool you or your dog!